Tuesday, October 21, 2014

This Blogging Break Brought to You By ...

I've loved blogging the 31 Days series "Mom Talks"!

When LtDan and I planned a sort of spontaneous trip with dear friends smack dab in the middle of October, I planned to be so ahead of the game that I would compose and schedule posts in advance.
Didn't happen.

No worries, I knew I would be SO on top of things that I would write my posts from the comfort of the hotel.
Also didn't happen.

Thus, this break in blogging is brought to you by great friends, good times and the City of New Orleans.

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in the French Quarter and it was (no surprise) completely lovely.  


The colors were navy blues and burgundies and plum and gold and chocolate browns - my absolute favorites.  I really wanted to put the chair from our room into my suitcase and bring it home.  


We especially loved the courtyard both day and night, and the Davenport Lounge downstairs.  The Davenport was hopping with live jazz music every night.


We were in New Orleans once when the kids were little to over night and go to the New Orleans aquarium (it's fantastic).  I was there for an afternoon in my twenties but all I remember is very strong coffee and crowded streets.  Both times, New Orleans was on the way to something else, and didn't get the attention it deserves.


Every city has a personality, and New Orleans wins the contest, in my opinion.  Everyone is so New Orleans (and Saints!) proud, and with only one kind of funny exception, everyone we encountered was delighted we were there and happy to provide service.


We did the typical tourist walking tour of Bourbon Street.  It was everything you've heard about it - very loud and crowded and wild and crazy - and that was on just a normal Saturday night.  I know  for sure Mardi Gras is not for me.    My favorite was Royal Street, which was more laid back with antique shops and restaurants and bars.


We all loved the sea food and ate oysters at every opportunity (and we made sure there were plenty :o)  The Chicken Andouille Gumbo at the Gumbo Shop was good enough to make me want to make the 8 hour drive again right this minute.  Brandon was our waiter extraordinaire, and we owe him thanks for his expert recommendations.


We took a buggy ride in the early evening through the French Quarter.  You can catch a buggy at Jackson Square any time of day.  Our driver gave us a great feel for the area and some good historical notes.

Being right on the Mississippi, it seemed appropriate to take a Steamboat Ride, and we spent a couple hours on the Natchez.  It was a relaxing afternoon on the riverboat; we went about seven miles down river and back.  We saw some huge cargo carriers, lots of barges and where the levy broke during Hurricane Katrina.


Back in the French Quarter, we saw at least three wedding parties, two were dancing down the street complete with umbrellas, hankies and a band, and the grandparents brought up the rear of the wedding party in bicycle rickshaws.  So fun!


Everywhere you look there is something interesting to see.  There was definitely plenty crazy, some sad, and abundant fun.  I loved the street performers and the artwork and the antiques and the architecture.


Our favorite street band was Yes, Ma'am, playing on Royal Street.  They play eclectic country/blues, and bill themselves as 1920's rock and roll.  Have a listen, I think you'll love them, too!




New Orleans is full of energy.  Everyone is cool and on their way to something fun.  I really enjoyed the fact that there were lots and lots of older people there ... including a white haired Granny with a walker on Bourbon Street!  The city exudes a quiet confidence and understated elegance.  You feel the age of the city, and sense the history.  The food is wonderful.  It's definitely in the top three of my favorite cities. 



We had  a fabulous weekend with great food and SO MUCH FUN in an amazing city ... 
but the company was the best of all.  

The other best thing of all?
That we could leave town and not worry once about our kids and 
what they might be up to whilst unsupervised at home.
Maybe they have been listening to all those Mom Talks?
Last week, we left off with a talk about effective apologies }here{.
Join me tomorrow and we'll take the Mom Talks series up again 
and talk about grace, and who needs it the most.

Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment