Monday, October 6, 2014

Mom Talk #6: Attitude is Everything

Thank you for coming by!
for the introduction and index of the posts in this 31 Days series, click }here{

Mom Talk #5 was about just how easy it is to be above average.  Here, we'll talk about something you carry with you wherever you go, and it's the most powerful thing in your world.

It has the power to propel you at light speed toward success, jettison you to the front of the line, cut through red tape like butter, recolor your world with rainbows.

It's your attitude.

Your Granddaddy was an exemplary example of good attitude applied to life.  He visited nursing home patients regularly and I remember him telling about one gentleman he visited frequently.  As they closed their visit one afternoon, Mr. Wills said, "Well, I guess I better get outside and watch the vapor trails."  Granddaddy marveled at and admired the contentment with which Mr. Wills stated his intent.  Attitude is your whole world.  Attitude is everything.



Granddaddy carried this poem in his wallet for years:

Outside my window, a new day I see,
And only I can determine what kind of day it will be.
It can be busy and sunny, laughing and gay,
or boring and cold, unhappy and gray.
My own state of mind is the determining key,
for I'm only the person I'll let myself be.
I can be thoughtful and do all I can to help,
or be selfish and think just of myself
I can enjoy what I do and make it seem fun,
or gripe and complain and make it hard on someone.
I can be patient with those who may not understand
or belittle and hurt them as much as I can.
But I have faith God will help me and believe what I say,
and I personally intend to make the best of each day.
                                                - Author Unknown, (italicized words adapted)

This poem resonated deeply with your Granddaddy, and it completely delighted him.  It put into words his deep seeded belief that we each have the power to paint our worlds with sunshine or dark clouds.  He was bothered that the original poem stated "I have faith in myself" since he knew that faith in self is destined to disappoint.  So, we played around with the words and adapted it to acknowledge that our help comes from God.  I typed the poem out for him and he carried it in his wallet, but really he was fond of quoting the poem to people from memory.  It was extremely charming and endearing to everyone who had the privilege to hear it from him, because he meant every word of it.

 Massively powerful, your attitude is the   o n e  t h i n g   in life that you have complete control over.  You choose what to focus on, you choose what things mean to you, you choose whether it's the end or the beginning, you choose sunny or gray.  Your attitude is your world.

Tomorrow, we'll talk about the super power that is attitude's best friend.

for the introduction and index of the posts in this 31 Days series, click }here{
thanks for reading!

Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment