Saturday, October 5, 2013

31 Days of Seeking Joy in the EveryDay: Karaoke

The very idea of Karaoke sends me simultaneously into two parts of my soul, 
like boxers sent to their respective corners of the boxing ring.  
I’ve always been able to see that Karaoke must be a lot of fun for those who dare.  
And at the same time, the very idea of it makes me cringe. 

I mean, come on … 
we've all seen those embarrassing videos.

My perfectionism has always kept me from even considering a karaoke gig behind the microphone.  
But the thing is, the lead boots of perfectionism keep me from experiencing an awful lot of life.

Karaoke is certainly not about perfectionism.  
It’s about grabbing the mic, doing the best you can do, and just having fun. 

My first experience with karaoke taught me a valuable lesson:
As with so many other things I've never tried but felt free to judge, 
it’s a lot harder than you think.   
The people up there on the stage are doing the best they can, 
and as with so much of life, who said it has to be perfect?  

A lot of what makes life memorable is stepping out of your comfort zone … 
and low and behold, sometimes there’s joy out there … even if it isn't perfect.

Karaoke, anyone?



“You have to remember, one life, one death–this one! 
To enter fully the day, the hour, the moment whether it appears as life or death, 
whether we catch it on the inbreath or outbreath, 
requires only a moment, this moment. 
And along with it all the mindfulness we can muster, 
and each stage of our ongoing birth, and the confident joy of our inherent luminosity.” 
 Stephen Levine, A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last





Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment