Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Being in Control ... it works for me!

Welcome to day 3 of the 31 Days series It Works for Me!



I must admit that this series includes some things I do fairly well, some things I do sometimes, and some things I know I should do - but more often than not, I don't.   

Staying in control is a life lesson I have to learn over and over again, but thankfully (in most cases) 
to lesser degrees as I  get older  mature.  
In control of what?  
Me!


I remember well when this lesson crystallized for me.  
I had four children under five years old, a good book, and it was the weekend.  

Sometimes as a stay at home mom, the longing to disengage for just a little while is so strong, but  when your children are small it's just not an option to get away.  On this weekend, LtDan indulged me and I read for two days, doing the bare minimum of "real world" tasks, thoroughly engrossed in my book, 
reveling in the hours and hours of nothing but reading.  


On Sunday evening when I finished my book, reality came down hard.  Not hard in a mean way, just hard in an objective, just the facts way.  I'd spent two days doing little more than reading, relinquishing all control of everything except turning the next page, and thus I was behind in real life.  
It was indulgent -luxurious even- to just read all weekend ... 
in fact, it was blissfully wonderful!  
But the benefit just didn't outweigh the consequences.  

I realized it feels a whole lot better to be in control, and that the rewards for completely checking out just don't stack up against how good it feels to be on top of things.  
Or at least trying to be on top of things.  


I still have to remind myself of this often.  I haven't completely mastered it, 
but I do know it's true:  being in control ... it works for me!      



Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :