Sunday, October 21, 2012

Happy Hour ... it works for me!


Welcome to day 21 of the 31 Days series It Works for Me!
Greetings from somewhere between Texas and Arkansas :o) 

Friday I wrote about taking breaks.  And then we went to my in-laws home in Arkansas
and I came down with a wicked cold and slept while everyone talked and laughed.
Boo for missing all the family fun!  
But I got lots of unexpected sleep, breakfast and two cups of coffee in bed … not all bad!

As we’re on the road and my creative juices are flowing somewhere below optimal, today I would like to repost one of my first blog posts, about Happy Hour …

I remember being perplexed by Happy Hour as a kid. Were you not supposed to be happy except between the hours of 4pm and 7pm? And what exactly made “happy hour” happy”?


Tonight I met my husband and my brother&sister-in-law at Gordon Biersch for Happy Hour. Let me just tell you, it’s not drinks that compel me, it’s the garlic fries. They would make a vampire blow his diet. So it's the garlic fries. And the company, of course.


 I'm a stay-at-home Mom, and we live in the country, 
so going into the city is a fun change of pace.


Did you ever watch the show "Dallas"?
they were always going "into the city", dressing snazzy, driving their convertibles on freeways that strangely had no traffic ...
 ... anyway ...


Today I'm thankful for Happy Hour.
 
But not that kind of Happy Hour. I don't remember where I read about this concept - it's certainly not original to me. Anyway, the idea is to pre-determine moments in your day when you’ll be happy.

So in the morning, I tell myself, "I'll be happy today when I see the pumpkins on the front porch.”


Zing! happy.

or, "I'll be happy today when I see my morning glories (that survived the dogs ... and the horse ... and the hottest, driest summer in years)."


Zing! happy.

or, "I'll be happy today when company comes to the door."


Zing! happy.

Most of the time my list includes things like hearing my children laugh, or seeing my husband drive up in his truck, or hearing my dad come into the kitchen. I make a list in the morning, telling myself when I'll be happy and it sets up little pockets of happy all day long … happy hours, you see.

So, here’s to happy hour. I’m thankful for it today :o)
  
So what about you?  Have you had your happy hour today?


Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

  1. Ah, I could use many happy hours today. ;) great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My happy hour was when my husband gently woke me up for quiet time. Love that! Here's to happy hour all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, very nice! nothing like getting the day started off right!

      Delete