Thursday, October 25, 2012

Watch the Movie of Your Life ... it works for me!

Welcome to Day 25 of the 31 Days series It Works for Me!

I love a good movie.  A lot.  
My enduring favorites are the ones where you get a deep sense 
of another woman's life and home.  

Like Meryl Streep in It's Complicated ...


Like Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail ...


Like Sandra Bullock in Hope Floats ...


And of course we all know how movies are ... the sets are gorgeous and homey, 
the clothes are beautiful, the girl gets the guy, the guy gets the girl, 
and it all just makes you feel good.

So sometimes when I get under-motivated, I play the movie game. 

I started this game years ago, when I was working outside the home.  
I was a small town girl, and I  moved to the big city and got a job in corporate America
at a major airline.  It was pretty wonderful.

But like everything else, there were days when I didn't really want to go to work.  
So, I would play the movie game.  

In my mind's eye, I would watch myself drive my cute little car to this big corporate headquarters, dressed in professional attire complete with hose and high heels.  
I would watch me walk into the building with other yuppie professionals, 
check in with the receptionist, turn the lights on in my office, and sit down behind my desk.  
I would see myself look out my office window, knowing that I could travel over the weekend if there were seats available to just about any place I wanted to go.  

And suddenly, it wasn't so bad to be me, even though I was at work.  
There were still phone calls to make, people to see, reports to complete, projects to push, 
but somehow lifting myself out of "me" for a minute and watching my life from the outside 
helped me see the good stuff a little more clearly.

Now ... nearly 18 years after I traded my high heels for something more comfortable ... 
I still play the movie game from time to time.  

It never fails to jerk the grumbling right out of me. 
 I'm not saying my life is just like a movie ... 
but I am saying that when I take a minute to pull the camera back to a wide angle, 
where I get a panorama of where I am, who I am, and the job God has blessed me with ... 
I realize there are blessings everywhere I look.  



It's like that saying, "if all the troubles of the world were heaped into a big pile,
 and we could choose which troubles we carried away from it,
 most of us would just as soon walk away with the ones we came with."  

Sometimes, it just takes a movie screen perspective to help me see that a little more clearly.  
It works for me!

Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

  1. My movie is It's a Wonderful Life :)
    I wish I could live in that time - I wish I could be there! I always makes me feel good.

    But it also reminds me of when my mom and I would watch it every Christmas growing up :)

    God bless!

    Beth

    31 Days to Living a More Intentional Life
    www.ourfrontporchview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i LOVE It's a Wonderful Life! and the time period, too ... 1940's is my favorite as well!

      Delete
  2. This whole past year and a half has felt surreal, like I've been watching everything happen from outside myself. Sometimes I wish all HAD been a movie. But you're right, I still wouldn't trade my life for a different one. It's all a part of His divine plan, and I'm grateful to be part of it. Fun post!! I would love to be in an actual movie sometime, just a small something, and pretend I was part of a different scenario for a day - wouldn't that be fun?!! Or a voice for a Disney/Pixar movie! I'm such a goofball :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, Kerry ... i'm so sorry ... you are so courageous, and don't say you're not :o) I'll be watching for your name in all the Disney movie credits!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I do this as well and often out a soundtrack to my movie. :)

    ReplyDelete