Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Last Day

We're members of a homeschool co-op, and 
Friday was our last day for the semester.  

On the last day,
the kids are always happy, but kind of sad ... 
and the moms are always sad, but kind of happy.
:o)  

When we started homeschooling more than 15 years ago, 
the most common question people asked was,
"What about socialization?"  

Attending a co-op made answering that question a lot easier,
and it's brought us 10 years of great classes 
and memories and friends
for our whole family.

So Friday was another last day.  
We had a performance expo during lunch, mostly for the little guys.
It's one of my favorite parts of the semester.
It's a chance to put on your best dress and take your place on stage.  


My favorites are invariably the four year olds.
I always secretly hope there is one who cannot suppress their inner star.
They rarely disappoint :o)


Gymnastics ... tumbling and cartwheels and the big finish ... just adorable.


The speedstacking class impressed us with their rapid-fire speedstacking.


The recorder class rocked it ... they're always so sweet and sincere.  


Service award certificates were given to several deserving students. 


The Yearbook Staff had a photobooth.


In Texas History, the students gave laid back and fun reports
on how their families first came to the great state of Texas.

While I graded the last homework papers, my Institute in Excellence for Writing co-teacher
finished up a great year of writing class 
with our enthusiastic and gifted and delightful 3rd through 5th graders.

And we closed the books on another semester of the Cashflow class, where I heard things like,
"I only need $10,000 to get out of the Rat Race!" and "Where are 1 million dollar bills?" all semester long.


In addition to the many practical applications they learned from playing the game, 
the two lessons I hope the kids from Cashflow class take with them are: 
"Always pay your bills on time" - so they'll never have to worry about their credit scores, 
and "Be awesome now!" based on }this{ awesome blog post by Jon Acuff.  
One of my students did a semester wrap up for me on the whiteboard ... 


On the way home, my kids were happy, but a little bit sad.
I was sad, but a little bit happy.
It was a good last day.


Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment