Friday, May 22, 2015

Mercy Hunting: The Rain, The Pole, and Other Things

Wet.  Rainy.  Muddy.  Chilly! 
Can this possibly be May?

My brother came down this week.  He made a flag pole for us - it's 25 feet tall!  He brought his tractor, the flag pole and his four wheeler.  While he and LtDan and the boys dug the hole and cemented the pole base, I rode the four wheeler :o)  Our next step is to paint the pole, and then we're ready to raise the flag just in time for Memorial Day.  I'm so excited!




LtDan mowed my walking trail for me, and then it rained, and rained, and rained - it's still not finished raining - and as the fields drain into the creek, parts of my trail turn into causeways.  Some of our property lies in the flood plain, and I totally geek out on the affect of the rain on the land and the creek.  Perhaps I should have studied hydro-engineering in college - ha!  Anyway, since I walk in mudboots, wading thru water isn't a problem.  God's mercies are new, ready to be counted every morning - even if they may be a little water logged.


The Power of None vs. Energy Bites


I mentioned listening to Gretchen Rubin's book Better Than Before }here{ and I thoroughly enjoy her podcast -  check her out }here{.  This podcast is like sitting in on a friendly chat between two smart and witty sisters talking about things that can make all our lives happier.  One of my favorite empowering concepts that Gretchen introduces in her book and discusses on her podcast is the difference between Abstainers and Moderators.  An Abstainer finds it easier to have none than one; a Moderator functions best when they don't have to deal with absolutes.  I'm definitely an Abstainer, which I finally learned after raiding the reward candy supply and having to go back to the store to replenish the candy stock more than once.  At last, I proclaimed "NOT EVEN ONE" piece of candy would cross my lips again (well ... from this candy supply, anyway :o).  And that was it.  Not even one piece of candy, and no more emergency trips to the store to replenish the supply.  It's infinitely easier for me to just decide nope, not even one, than to try to moderate my willpower.  Better Than Before put all of that into words, helped me clarify my tendencies, and realize that opting for none is even an option.  Ah yes, I thought I had this thing down, but life is generous with learning opportunities: my sister brought over a box of homemade Energy Bites.  Let us say I had a very "energetic" day until I realized I must wield the Power of None or else possibly explode.  They were delicious, but for me, impossible to resist.  If you would like to conduct your own experiment to determine if you are an Abstainer or a Moderator, check out this recipe for No Bake Energy Bites }here{ on the Gimme Some Oven blog.  Just ... be careful.  


Spring is busy on the front porch.  Honey bees at the Hummingbird feeder and a  spider with who knows how many tiny babies on its back, and wanting to come in the house!  It's a good thing LtDan works from home is all I will say about that spider.


Praying for America


A friend of mine posted }this link{ to an article about Anne Graham Lotz's MAYDAY Prayer Initiative, a call to pray for America.  These days, the national headlines are, at best, unsettling.  Often, after watching the news I find myself wondering, "what can I do?"  Ann Graham Lotz is Billy Graham's daughter; I found it so encouraging to hear her say in the interview, "We're doing all we know to do:  Pray."  This, I can do.  If you'd like more information about the MAYDAY Prayer Initiative, click }here{.  The message is sobering and urgent, but offers hope.  No worries if you aren't offering your prayers on the "right" date (I'm not either).  I don't think there's an expiration date for prayers.

Just this week I was noting a young cottonwood tree (my favorite!) growing by the creek.  The next day?  It was down on the ground, and look!  It was the handywork of a beaver!  I'm so bummed that a beaver (or beavers?) chose to gnaw down a cottonwood tree out of all the choices available, but it's kind of fun to know what Ruby is always so very interested in when we cross the creek.  



In other wildlife news, I saw a deer crossing the backfield last week, and there are lots of footprints in the mud.  When I hear hunters shooting during hunting season, I'm hoping the deer get away.  Sorry, hunters!


The May wildflowers are definitely here, but some of my favorites are waiting for sunshine to coax them out.  Having suffered through the past few summers in drought, it's bad form to begrudge the rain.  Maybe May showers will bring June flowers, too?


I hope you're having a lovely spring.  One day this week, it was hot and humid enough to remind me  that I actually do prefer exercising in warmer temperatures.  I'm sure the Texas summer will accommodate soon.

One last thing.  I'm just curious ... tell me, is it just me, or can you see a face in the tree trunk in the picture below?  Oh dear, now that I ask, I see more than one ...


Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment