Friday, June 19, 2015

Stars and Stripes Forever

After 9/11, it seemed like every car on the road had an American flag sticker on it.  It was a great reminder that we're all united under the stars and stripes, and I loved that show of solidarity and American pride.  


LtDan has always wanted to have a flag pole here at the JustB, and my brother just happens to have the skills and the equipment to build (and deliver!) such a pole.  When he came to visit and and deliver it a few weeks ago, we weren't able to raise the pole because of all the rain we were getting, but last weekend the ground was dry enough and the weather cooperated, and we had the chance to put it up.

I knew Stan was making the pole for us, but I didn't expect any of his thoughtful customizations:  "JustB" and the date welded on the base, and of course his initials.


And - this is so awesome! - I love the top:


LtDan painted it, and then we called the posse together to raise the pole.  


It takes coordination and muscle to get a 25 foot pole into the air.  






We saluted the flag with fireworks, and after some amazing barbecue ribs and a buffet of all kinds of good things to eat, we spent the rest of the evening on the porch.  



I'm completely surprised at how proud I am to fly the flag.
I keep finding new views from which to appreciate it.  
It makes me all the more mindful of how grateful I am to live in America.



"Let us never forget that in honoring our flag, we honor the American men and women who have courageously fought and died for it over the last 200 years - patriots who set an ideal above any consideration of self and who suffered for it the greatest hardships.  Our flag flies free today because of their sacrifice."  - Ronald Reagan

Many many thanks to my brother Stan for building and delivering our flagpole 
and to our fantastic friends who helped us stand it up!

Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment