Friday, July 17, 2015

Listen to This! Podcast Recommendations, #1

When I was in fourth grade, I discovered audio books in the school library.  The first one I listened to was Rikki Tikki Tavi.  I popped the tape into my Dad's black cassette player and listened to it over and over.  I'm not sure why a girl from the Texas High Plains was completely transfixed by the story of a mongoose's battle with a cobra, but it was the beginning of a lifetime love of audio books.


I progressed from checking out cassettes to CD's then to MP3's from the library, next graduated to Audible.com, which offers monthly membership plans to purchase audiobooks, and then ... I discovered Podcasts, and it's Rikki Tikki Tavi all over again. There is so much great stuff out there, and it's FREE!  Listening to something informational or entertaining makes housekeeping and yardwork and driving and exercise go by so much quicker, and I love listening to thought leaders, productivity gurus, life coaches, entrepreneurs, and people who are just all around way funnier and smarter than me.  In no particular order, here are six podcasts I enjoy and a link to an episode of each that I found to be particularly great.  Check them out to see if you might like them, too! 



This is Your Life, with Michael Hyatt




(image source)  Michael Hyatt is a highly successful businessman and author who has years of experience and is most generous in sharing life lessons.  Listening to his podcast is like having a well-respected mentor give you personal insights on living life well, fast tracking personal growth, and succeeding in business.

Click }here{ to listen to "How to Lead From the Heart." Michael discusses the importance knowing your heart's condition and how to address it when your heart has shut down.     


Inspired to Action, with Kat Lee


(image source) Kat Lee is warm, enthusiastic, and encouraging.  She talks about faith, doing motherhood and parenting well, and offers lots of interviews with people you'd love to get to know.  If you're a mom and do nothing else but listen to Kat's podcast introduction, you'll be encouraged (and hooked).

Click }here{ to listen to Kat's interview with Sally Clarkson : "Own Your Life"


In the Loop, with Andy Andrews


(image source)  Andy Andrews is like the good neighbor you hope to run into when you have time to sit and visit over a large glass of tea on the front porch.  He's funny, witty and oh-so-very wise.  I especially like that he's a father of two teenagers, and frequently gives practical and reasoned advice about parenting.  I also like the casual nature of In the Loop - these podcasts are unscripted, and I don't think the questions are even discussed in advance, so it runs like a real live conversation between Andy and his host.  Episodes are generally 15 to 20 minutes long.
    
Click  }here{ to listen to "Respect:  The Often Ignored Gateway to Influence, Happiness and Success"  


The Art of Charm



(image source)  The demographic audience for The Art of Charm podcast is probably 20-30 year old males - the tagline is "where ordinary guys become extraordinary men" ... I'm long past my 20-30's and am not a guy, yet this is one of my favorite podcasts.  Episodes are generally an hour or so long and offer a wide variety of topics revolving around the human condition and how to be better in every area of life.  The interviews are in depth, interesting, extremely comprehensive, and big name guests are typical.  The Art of Charm offers 400 podcasts, and I haven't listened to one yet that didn't offer significant insights.

Click }here{ to listen to an interview with Harville Hendrix : "Getting the Love You Want."  Or click }here{ to listen to an interview with Jonathan Bailor : "The SANE War on Obesity."  Both of these episodes are intriguing - I listened to them both twice and will probably relisten to them regularly.




(image source)  Amy Porterfield's podcast is about making online marketing easy.  She offers fascinating social media insights, and although most of the concepts are still somewhat over my head, her enthusiasm is inspiring and empowering.   

Click }here{ to listen to "Putting More 'You' in Your Business - A Guide to Building Brand Personality"


Happier, with Gretchen Rubin


(image source)  Gretchen Rubin is the author of  The Happiness ProjectHappier at Home, and Better Than Before (I mentioned this book }here{ a few months ago).  Her podcast is a happy weekly conversation with her sister, Elizabeth, wherein they talk about things we can all do to make us - you've probably guessed it - happier.  This podcast is funny, light-hearted, honest and just plain fun.  I love the connection between these two sisters.  Gretchen often sounds like she's just one comment away from being consumed with uncontrollable laughter.  If you have a sister, you'll enjoy the rapport between these two and it will make you appreciate how laughing with a sibling is a pleasure like none other.

Click }here{ to listen to "Buy an Experience, Strengthen the Foundation, and the Challenge of Table Manners"



I'm fast on the way to being a Podcast Junkie, because did I mention it?  There is so much great stuff out there!  Got any recommendations for me?  Because I can assure you, I'll have more for you!

Shared joy is doubled joy ... let's double the joy for both of us - what are you most grateful for today? Click below to leave your comment. I'll go first :

Post a Comment